Tuesday, May 06, 2003



O brave new world That has such people in't

A nice line from The Tempest which I finished reading a couple nights ago. It's too bad that the person who says it, Miranda, is so naive about the world and the people that she sees. I suppose it would be refreshing to have a childlike wonder to the world though. Sometimes I'm able to be that childlike, and other times I feel very weighed down by what I see. There's so much beauty in the world, and so much shit covering it up. One thing of beauty stands out to me today: orange sunrise smoothies.

Orange Sunrise smoothies--a wonderful, delicious balance of orange, strawberry, banana and pineapple (and an added "immune booster" to try to help me get rid of this annoying cold). They're so simple, yet so full of healthy and tasty goodness one cannot help but be amazed by the different mixes of flavor at every slurp of the straw. I was not the only one today to be facinated with this fruity concoction. While in the Center for International Education office inquiring about the lack of forthcoming information about my student teaching in London next semester, both of the ladies in the office asked me what it was I was drinking. I told them, "Number 15 at the smoothie place in Davies" like I was telling them where to find the end of the rainbow. They pondered my words for a moment before asking, "What's in it? Is it one of the yogurt ones or juice ones?" I leaned in closer and said quietly "Neither" and before they could fully register their amazement I continued, explaining "It's one of the orange ones. They use orange sherbert and orange juice instead of yogurt or just juice." Their eyes begged me to tell them more, so I tantalized their tastebuds with details, "It also has strawberries, bananas, and....some pineapple." The ladies nodded in assent, acknowledging the quality of this smoothie. It would not surprise me if I walked by their office later and found them both sucking down an orange smoothie, perhaps even a...number 15. Oh, the world is a beautiful place. And my smoothie is gone...

No comments: