Tuesday, August 19, 2003



Katie: Fridge Raider: The Ladle of Soup

Another semi-obscure and wholy absurd allusion. Tonight, after a day of calling in sick for work and proceeding to sleep in, eat chicken soup, watch TV and talk online, I went to see the new Tomb Raider movie with my brother. It was all I expected it to be and less. Having seen the first movie a couple years ago, I knew this sequel would be full of action and not a whole lot else. But, the choices at the movie theater tonight were slim and both Scott and I were in the mood for an adventure type movie. Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, a movie we both WOULD have wanted to see: T3: Rise of the Machines has left the main theaters and has yet to transfer to the budget.

Fortunately, a few good things DID come out of seeing this movie tonight:

1) Movie popcorn and my first soda (I got a white soda, so it's not QUITE as bad) in a week.
2) Quality time with my big bro.
AND...
3) Disney is coming out with a new movie, perhaps incalculably more gutsy with almost certainly more potential to be as crappy as Pirates of the Caribbean was excellent....another movie based off a ride. Only this time...no Orlando Bloom or Johny Depp. Nope, this one has Eddie Murphy...the poor soul. I must give Disney the slightest bit of credit for not making It's a Small World: Curse of the Neverending Song. The ride is...The Haunted Mansion. Dude, I remember that ride from when I was about 5 years old. It was only slightly creepy then. While watching the preview, a slight smile DID come to my face, recognizing some scenes taken almost directly from the ride--much as parts of POTC did--BUT, I'm just not sure how great this movie could be. Still, I try not to judge a movie too harshly by a preview--I mean, some movies have had great previews and it turns out that those 2-3 minutes were the only good parts at all. We'll see how it does at the box office whenever it comes out. Until then, I'll try to block it from my mind.

No comments: