Friday, October 24, 2003



Woof Woof, Meeeow!

Today was "Make a Difference Day" for the 8th graders here. I was given the lucky position of chaperone for one particular field trip/volunteer experience: the Humane Society. :) For those of you that know me, you surely know I just melt whenever I see cute looking dogs and cats, so you can just imagine the look on my face when I received my chaperone assignment. And the kids did a great job. They walked dogs, vacuumed, cleaned walls, clipped rabbit toe nails, brushed cats, and played with puppies. I got some adorable pictures of them going about their volunteer work. Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to interract with the animals, other than patting a dog or two on the head and briefly petting a couple cats.

I can't help but become a little sad every time I go to a place like that, knowing that some of those dogs and cats will never be adopted. I'm not sure what policy this particular humane society has, but I know the one in my home town keeps a dog or cat for a few weeks, but after that...It's really a shame and makes me want to rescue them all, though I know I couldn't provide for them. When I finally have my own house, I'll just have to get my own young cat and dog from the local humane society. And hey, it never hurts to try an older dog too, you just never know what could happen...i.e. Oliver and Bailey :)

No comments: