Thursday, October 09, 2003



Where I've been today: teacher convention, Borders, the ER...

My day can best be expressed in the form of an IM conversation:

Me: DUDE!
Me: guess what I did today
Jenny: howdy do
Jenny: no idea
Me: fainted
Jenny: taught eighth graders
Me: went to the ER
Jenny: omgosh!
Jenny: what happened??
Me: got to ride in an ambulance
Me: well, it's really rather silly

Me: I was standing outside this noon with some other teachers
Me: during the convention
Me: we were all about to walk to get lunch at Boston's (new place in town)
Me: when one of the other teachers came up to us
Me: she had just been at the hospital with her young son
Me: who cut his head
Me: big gash, bloody, deep
Me: and she was telling about it
Me: and, I guess that story, mixed with me not having a lot to eat, being a little thirsty, hot and the cold medicine and being sick....

Me: last thing I remember, my heart was beating fast, I felt light headed and queasy
Me: and I put my hand on Barb's shoulder
Me: (my coop)
Jenny: uh huh
Me: and she asked if I was okay
Me: and I said something like, I'm feeling lightheaded....and then bam, no idea
Me: apparently, I started collapsing, but she held my head
Me: so I didn't bump anything
Me: which was good cuz we were on cement
Me: and I guess I was totally out for a min or two
Me: meanwhile, I'm dreaming about something
Me: wake up, and there's faces all around
Jenny: wow
Me: no clue what just happened
Me: I'd never ever fainted before in my life
Jenny: you were just laying on the floor?
Me: yeah, I was laying, opened my eyes up and there were the teachers's heads all around me
Me: someone was taking off my sunglasses
Jenny: embarrassing?
Me: kinda yeah
Me: although, it's not like you can help it

Me: so they called someone there, and he came and checked me out, meanwhile they called an ambulance
Jenny: yeah
Me: and they checked me out, and then decided to take me in just in case
Me: and they said it was just a case of kinda low blood sugar and basically having a reaction to the story
Me: which can happen
Jenny: yeah
Me: when your heart starts beating too fast, and then your body tries to slow it down, but does it too quickly, and you faint
Me: but then when you lay down, blood rushes back to your head
Me: it was so bizarre, being put onto a stretcher and carted off
Me: I'd never been in an ambulance before
Me: it's not a fun ride
Me: my stomach felt queasy from the position and the drive
Me: and they pricked my finger twice for getting a blood sugar count
Me: :P
Jenny: oy vey
Me: at the hospital they checked me out, asked 2 times if I was pregnant :P and did an EKG
Jenny: lol wow
Me: I'm like, no I don't think so...

Me: so yeah, it was an event
Me: I called my dad when I got home, and he was all concerned--he told my mom, she called me, and she was all concerned about getting the insurance straight :P

Top 3 Lessons of the Day:

3. It's a good idea to have friends around when you faint--it makes falling a lot nicer and less painful.
2. Next time your friend wants to tell a graphic story about bloody gashes that are so deep and wide that the skull is showing DON'T LISTEN!
and the number one lesson of the day.... ::drumroll::
1. ALWAYS have your legs shaved: you never know when a young and very cute doctor will be feeling your ankles. :P

No comments: