Tuesday, August 03, 2004

News from the front...and the back

The weekend at home was all it should have been. The only thing missing was a visit with Mary, and a bit more time with my brother Chris. Otherwise, it was a full three days of friends, family, and a friggen load of fattening foods.

Now that I'm back, it's time for hauling my shite from here to Tricia's joint, and I can tell you that it's going to take a while. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much looking forward to the the move and finally feeling completely settled into The Cities.

But there are a few things I'm going to miss:
1)
A queen size bed to sprawl out in (much to the dismay of my bedfellow) and to share (much to the mutual satisfaction of both parties).

2) Having a bedroom AND a room for work, wardrobe and miscellaneous objects.

3) The myriad hooks that the former resident of my room decided to strew about the walls of the room. Honestly, how many hooks does a person need?

4) A bookshelf FULL of DVD's and VHS tapes sporting such classics as The Blob, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, and gagillion more movies ranging from the obsurdly obscure to the best movies of all time.

But like all things, there's also a backside...other side...of the story.

There are things I will NOT miss:
1)
Mice. Enough said.

2) Seeing a roommate's ass 3 more times than I ever wanted to.

3) Using a kitchen from the 1940's that has NEVER been updated. No countertops, barely any "cupboard" space (if you can call a few shelves "cupboards"), and any food below the 5 feet mark can be fair game for the mice. Did I mention I won't miss the mice?

Naturally, there are pluses and minuses to every living space and every roommate arrangement. It will be awesome finally being able to live with one of my best friends, and it will be sad moving 12 minutes away from my boyfriend (made more difficult by his lack of a transportation device). But put into perspective, I should just be damn happy that I'M HERE in the Twin Cities, where I've wanted to be for years with people I care very much about. I miss my family and my friends randomly located througout WI, but this is the place I need to be for now.

Time to take things one lease at a time ;)

No comments: