Sunday, August 22, 2004

A New Saga in Stupidity

WELCOME! Yes, welcome to the first installment of "Tales of Incredible Idiocy!" Starring yours truly, Katie, the smartest woman in the world!!--her only problem is getting some of those smarts to leak out between her continual acts of utter stupidity!

Case in point: tonight. I had a great time at the Down and Above CD release party rocking out, pushing annoying moshers around, and buying their new CD and a sweet band T-shirt. Came home, ready to relax and go to bed. Up to that point everything was pretty good and pretty smart.

Later this evening...I decide it's a good idea to pick up the book I started at 2am this morning couldn't put down til 4am (112 pages later) once more, just to read a few more chapters. Right, like that was going to happen. So I finished the book 15 minutes ago. Not exactly smart since it means not getting a full night's sleep without sleeping into the afternoon when I want to get things done. Think that's dumb? Oh just you wait.

Of course last night I had issues trying to sleep having read in bed and then having hundreds of thoughts flowing through my head. I didn't sleep until almost 6am. Not cool. Think I would remember not to do it again tonight? Oh no. I knew I wouldn't fall asleep right away tonight, but I turned to my alarm clock to set it for tomorrow, turn off my lamp, and try to sleep anyway. Who knows, I MAY have been successful if it weren't for the SHOCK I felt when I touched my alarm clock to find that I HAD MELTED IT!!! I MELTED MY ALARM CLOCK!!!!

My lamp is one of those desk lamps that has a conical metal shade. I'm sure the bulb I have in there is the maximum wattage you can have, perhaps more. But I never had a problem with it. But then I never before leaned my lamp two inches away from the top of my alarm clock for 4 hours either. Fucking stupid, eh? Oh, but you think it ends there?

Considering that I had read for a good two hours yesterday, with the lamp in roughly the same position, I bet you anything that the clock was already starting to melt last night and I didn't notice it. How could I NOT NOTICE A SICKLY WARPED ALARM CLOCK?!! The poor thing...the clock still works, and I could probably turn on the alarm. But the buttons for setting the time are melted into plastic puddles forever connected to the framework of the alarm clock--never to be pressed again. Dumbass.

Frustrated, I get up out of bed and retreat to the sanctuary of my laptop and this blog. Venting seems reasonable enough, doesn't it? Not TOO dumb. Oh sure...but five minutes into blogging, I start remembering that it is STORMING OUTSIDE! I've only been listening to the thunder rumble and watching the lightning patterns for a good half hour or more. But do I think to unplug my laptop and use it's battery power so I don't accidently blow it up? Oh no, of course not. God I suck.

It's unplugged now, which also means my battery will be nearly dead by morning. But I'm telling you, this is good stupid shit that just had to be shared. Want to hear any more stupidity? Just give me a topic and I'm sure I can come up with an equally idiotic anecdote. Like for instance not relabeling the mailbox here at the apartment so that now I have not been receiving any mail here like for example a very important document my dad sent me three days ago. Sure, it's not my fault the post office is a big fat piece of shit for not asking or giving a notice or warning or JESUS WOW... that is a hell of a thunder bolt. Fucking wow. I feel like a four year old...I'm all ready to start cowering...dang third floor attic apartment with every window open, head just feet from the roof and the rain and the storm.

Hm, I guess the bonus of this blog entry is the idiotic babbling on top of the storytelling. Stellar. Well, enjoy your day. I hope it's much smarter than mine so far.

No comments: