Friday, August 27, 2004

Working for a living

Since I began employment at the middle school, I've been running my ass around town and all over the schools. I'm trying desperately to understand what I'm supposed to teach, how I'm supposed to teach it, and who exactly I will be teaching. As I'm only there for a quarter, some of the pressure is relieved, but I'm still finding it hard to keep up.

I've managed to put together my classroom when it comes to the basics, but I still have major decoration issues. That's the fun part. The hard part will be getting to the planning for the first week. But right now, for reasons of further stupidity, I have more urgent issues.

Urgent issue #1:
The St. Paul post office has been fucking around with my mail, or at least it was until I put my name on the mailbox. This would not be such a problem except that 2 very important items have somehow become LOST. Item 1: my social security card. Item 2: the checks I ordered. This has conequences. Do I wait and see if my SS card shows up back at my parents' house like the Post Office SAID IT WOULD? or Do I order a new SS card so that I can get that form of ID as soon as possible? As for the checks...that brings up another issue.

Urgent issue #2:
Whether it is the Post Office's fault (which I suspect it is) or the check company's fault, I have no clue. I called the check company and they redelivered my checks. I just got them today, and I'm quite happy with that EXCEPT for one thing. Yesterday, I received in the mail one booklet of checks from the checks I had ordered that were lost. Where were they? In Stevens Point, WI. WTF?!! So now I have no idea where the rest of the checks went, and if they are possibly in the hands of some fraudulent person. That means, I have to call the bank and void out all the checks. That's step 1.
Step 2 is that I have to call the check company again and reorder checks with a different number. There's simply too big a risk if I were to ignore the fact that 180 blank checks are roaming around the country with my name on them. They better let me have them for free, or there will be hell to pay.

Urgent issue #3:
Okay, this one is all my fault. With having a new bank and only using that check card, I haven't been paying much attention to my old bank account. Unfortunately, I had been using checks from that account for rent and loan payments. I could have SWORN that I had enough money in that account, but apparently I did not. So, on top of everything else, I have overdrawn from a bank that will charge me plenty for it too. The sad thing is, I HAD the money, just that it was in my savings, not in checking. Dammit, I suck.

In summary, I just seem to have issues lately. The next few blog entries may not be too pretty. Perhaps I'll try putting up more pictures--they may keep me from further blogs of venting.

No comments: