Thursday, July 29, 2004

The saga has ended

My days as a summer school teacher have ended. As they should. The kids were predictable today, feigning the ambition to work for about 10 minute before falling into the familiar pattern of talking and glancing at a computer screen now and then. Out of the bunch, one student alone was finished with her paper. The others said they wanted more time to work on it, and I said they could, with 10 points off for being two days late.

Naturally, the extra time made virtually no difference at all. They just gave up and were done. Fine with me really; I had wanted the last day to be one of fun with games, movie, and some final reflections. Sadly, it wasn't too much of a blast with me having to get grades in that same day, taking each paper as it came to me, grading it, adding it into their cummulative score, and giving final grades. Class went by very quickly, and before I knew it, we were in the last ten minutes.

I handed out surveys asking the students questions regarding their feelings about the class, how it went, did they enjoy the class material, would they make any changes, etc. All VERY similar to surveys I had to fill out for nearly every professor I had at UWEC, except there were no tiny circles to fill in with No. 2 pencils. Their comments seemed honest enough, if a bit breif, but I enjoyed reading them anyway.

And then they were gone. I turned on some Pink and took down my decorations and packed up my supplies. That was it. A chapter of my life is finished. And now the chapter of unemployment begins. :P God I hope I don't have to just substitute this school year.

Oh yeah, gone home for the weekend, so I'll check ya on the flipside.

No comments: