Saturday, July 03, 2004



Raindrops keep fallin' on my head

Song from one of the funniest moments of Spiderman 2 (I suggest you get your ass to the theater if you haven't seen it yet). And, coincidently, it was pouring just a few minutes ago and I was out in the supremely wet weather. I'll tell you why, but you have to promise to brace yourself...and not laugh. I was RUNNING. Today I ran through a monsoon with Chris, but the first day I braved it alone.

Yep, two days ago I got fed up with always talking about going out and getting some exercise, and after Lee left to go running, I decided I would too. I couldn't just keep waiting around for there to be a good moment to grab a friend and go. I could do it just fine by me onesie.

First, I made sure I had on all the right gear: navy and tan Nike running shoes, cotton navy Aruba shorts with their motto "One Happy Island," gray sport bra covered by navy cotton tank top, and last but not least, a navy headband. Honestly, it truly was not my intention to match that pathetically well. Just so happened to be the most comfortable and sporty combination I could come up with. (At least it wasn't a nylon jumpsuit or something).

Next, I decided I would forgo the routine (and smart) concept of stretching or warming up and just took a few steps from the house and started running. Went around the block...and walked. So, I walked to the bridge and ran across it...and walked. Walked around a block, got back to the bridge and ran across it...and walked around the block to the house.

At that point, I realized that not only was I incredibly out of cardiovascular/aerobic shape, but that I had also only been out for fifteen minutes. Not enough. So I walked around the block, got the bridge, walked across it, then turned around and ran across it, and walked another block, and back to the house. I felt like I was pacing. Seriously, at no point was I further than about three small blocks from the house.

But hey, it's a start, right? I can't expect to be running circles around my athletic-assed friends after years of avoiding running unless chased, competing for shotgun, or getting out of the rain. Today was actually pretty cool, we were both soaked but it prevented us from getting hot and sweaty which is always a plus.

We'll see how long this spurt of energy lasts--I'm guessing maybe til the end of the long weekend, but I'll try. Okay okay, I hear you: I'll DO.

No comments: