Monday, June 28, 2004



I'm Getting Better

A full week later, I'm still thankful when the school day ends, but things are better than they were. I had a rocky first couple days, but Thursday went well, as did today, and that gives me some hope. True, I had the students create collages Thurs and compete in an internet scavenger hunt today, but I figure, why the hell not make English class a bit enjoyable?

It's not that the lessons haven't been educational; they're just a bit alternative, which is the idea to begin with. Tomorrow they're bringing in their favorite song lyrics and perhaps a CD with their song to play in class. I briefly reviewed some poetic mumbojumbo like similies and alliteration, and asked them to pick out those usages in the song, taking it apart like they might take apart a poem. I figure we'll look at structure first, and then get into their meanings. Looking at songs seemed a good first step into a mini unit on poetry. Anything to get their attention and thinking that not all writing is boring ass shit.

I've got some sweet modern poetry to show them too, AND Chris might be coming in as a "guest speaker" to share some of his own poetry, answer questions, and perhaps tell them a bit about how he started writing. Of course they'll be writing some of their own poetry as well, which should be pretty fun, if I do it right. I have some ideas, just have to pick a couple and go with it.

Outside of teaching, which for the 12 hours a week fairly pathetically eats up my free time in trying to put together materials and plan lessons for each day, there's not a whole lot new around here. Thankfully it will get easier as the unit gets into the main phase of their writing. Easier to plan, but perhaps not easier to teach. I think I'm going to forget about getting a part time job for the next couple months and concententrate on not fucking up this job and finding a full time teaching job for the fall. It's so depressing to not get any call backs or emails. I'm going to call some places tomorrow and wake them up a bit. Not EVERY district can be that far behind that they aren't doing interviews yet. ::sigh:: Oh well. As my dad says, I'll always have a place at the Holiday Inn...or a factory. Comforting, hm?

No comments: