Thursday, June 10, 2004



GEEZ! What next?!

This week has been just full of surprises. First I find out I've got a new job, now I find out I've gotta move almost a week earlier than I thought. Turns out I'm off for MN on Monday, and before that I have a whole slew of appointments, packing, and fiesta-ing. I suddenly feel VERY overwhelmed and rather unprepared to move out.

Granted, this isn't like, my final "moving out" time thanks to not being able to fit everything into the van in one trip. AND, there's no way I'm packing absolutely everything, just the things I need and some things I want. Still, I have a feeling that van will be jam-packed before I get through with it.

I know I've been planning on moving out for a LONG time now, it's just that I never thought about it as an immediate sort of action, just something that will happen, eventually, in the future. But now, it's MONDAY, not some undetermined date. I think I'll be fine as far as getting things together, but there are a few things I thought I would do before I left that I don't think are going to happen:

*Sanding, painting, and fixing up the desk I bought at a rummage sale
*hanging out with Amy, Mary, and Shelly more
*patching things up with my long lost friend, Joe
*experiencing the somewhat dreaded, thought inevitable, maybe sort of nice, overall really no big deal of being in the same city as and running into old...friends
*having a fun-filled fiesta here at the house with coworkers and plenty of Corona and margaritas
*finally having my own grad party
*helping my mom and dad get rid of all their shit at a rummage sale

Getting to MN early is going to be a blast, I can assure you. However, there's something about "moving out" that has a finality to it. The next few days are the last of me really LIVING in this house that has been my home for 23 years (excluding 9 mo. out of the year). You could say it's just like I'm going to college...but it's not. This time, I'm not coming back, not for anything more than a visit. This is it.

Exiciting...scary...a huge hastle--all wrapped into one pivotal moment in my life. It's like I'm finally saying good-bye to my life as it was, and moving on; saying good-bye to my past and all it's ups and downs, being thankful for the good times and throwing a layer of dust over old memories. Sad that we say good-bye to so many things, so many people in our lives. Sometimes it's spoken, other times they just drift slowly away until they're just...gone. But you know, good-bye doesn't always mean forever. Sometimes time just needs to pass. And then, who knows?

No comments: