Monday, July 12, 2004



Sometimes you just can't WAIT for them to fail

Okay, I know I'm a teacher and I'm supposed to be the supportive, go-get-em tiger, that's-okay-you'll-do-better-next-time coach for my students. A good teacher means not giving up on a student and trying to make sure they do their best. But you know what? Sometimes you just gotta say "Blow it out your ass."

Let me expound. There is a certain student in my class who started out doing fairly average work and had a pleasant/neutral attitude. Then he left for a few days because he decided he didn't want to go to class. Finally, he was talked into returning and has resumed a presence in my classroom. Good, right?

Um...no. As I painstakingly explained all of the assignments he missed and gave clear and detailed instructions for the major project the other students are already pursuing, he just sat there. He was barely responsively, except to say something on the order of, "Yeah, okay. Whatever." That attitude has remained with him since that time. I wouldn't care, except that well, it looks really bad to have one student just sitting with his thumb up his ass while the other ones, even the slowly motivated ones, are finishing their research, doing make up work, and beginning to write their papers. THAT wouldn't even bother me if it weren't for the fact that he is so DANG OBSTINANT.

Other students at least TRY to pretend like their doing some work when I ask them to, or they give me some ideas of what they will be working on next, but this one? He just sits there and tells me "It's just summer school. It's not important anyway." Thanks buddy, so me spending hours and hours planning and going over shit to get this summer school unit planned was pointless, hm? Yeah, THAT sort of attitude is going to get you in my good graces.

::sigh:: Sorry about that, but a kid like that, well, just makes me WANT to fail him. In fact, I can't WAIT until he gives me half-assed work and I can write that big fat "NC" on his grade report with a big sadistic smile on my face.

Oh come on, you know I'm going to grade everyone fairly, and they'll each have their chance to pass if they get enough work accomplished. And hey, some good news. The counselor that also works with the students talked aside to me for a moment this morning and told me: THE KIDS LOVE ME. In fact, they'd love it if I worked at the ALC full time during the school year (unfortunately, simply not possible--there are no positions currently available). But still...What a nice thing to say! and a sure way to warm up this cynical heart :) AND, my bosses say I'm doing a great job too, as they knew I would from the interview.

Now, let's see if I can keep this "good teacher" rep going until the end of the summer before dropping "F" bombs on them...

No comments: