Monday, September 22, 2003



Poetic Ponderings Positively Progress Promptly

Tonight I revised some of my poetry and submitted it to NOTA (None Of The Above), the on campus, undergraduate semi-anually published literary magazine. I've never had a piece of my writing make it into the publication, but I did get on a sort of waiting list for it the first time I tried. Knowing I made it that close has made me REALLY want to get into it someday. But there were some semesters I didn't have anything ready, or that I have a couple solid pieces, but nothing else of much substance. Still, at least I tried a couple times. This time, I think I have at least a couple poems that have at least a fighting chance. It's hard to know what kind of poetry the judges are really going to be looking for. They seem to have their favorite styles, and they usually don't include punchy lyrical poems (as a couple of my past submissions could be described as). This time I think I have a nice variety, ranging from a rhymey basic four stanza poem to a stream-of-consciousness type poem to an abstract kind of self-affirmating poem. I even threw in a short and ragged allusion poem. And another that could be lyrics to a pop or punk song. All in all, a good mix as far as I'm concerned, and that's all that really counts, doesn't it? Okay, maybe not to the board making the decisions, but even so, I'm glad I went through the trouble of submitting because it gave me the push I needed to get certain poems typed up and revised that were either dispersed in journals or stuck in cyberspace. So, wish me luck!

On another note, I FINALLY FINISHED Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix!!! Not that it took me long to read it, just that it took me all summer long and plus to actually START reading it. Thank you, mi mejor amiga Tricia! Now I can discuss the details with all of you guys have already read it and have been waiting and waiting for me to get off my ass and read it. Twas a good book, though yes, it was dark, and Harry's all pissy, but still, even Luke almost went to the Dark Side. Well, my hands are getting sore, which is a good indication that I've spent more than enough time behind a computer tonight. Check ya later! :)

No comments: