Saturday, July 30, 2005

The Show is Over, Folks

Okay, so I didn't win the showdown for the job on Friday. Still, I can take solace in the fact that I was the running competition for someone who had 7 years experience and a masters degree. Apparently I must have gained some interviewing skills somewhere along the line that sometimes decide to show themselves in a beautiful performance. They said they were "very impressed" by me and they are certain that another school will "snatch me up" as soon as they can. No hard feelings with the school that didn't hire me, and I think I'll look in that same district in the future--the neighborhood is beautiful.

Despite the downer of that particular rejection (and another one earlier that day by a school I really didn't give a rat's ass about), I am feeling good about the upcoming school year. Some jobs are still popping up in the search engines, and there are four schools that still need to get back to me about the positions for which I applied and interviewed during the past month. Some schools are excrutiatingly slow at making a decision. My fat dog could probably make a better and faster decision. I've seen him growl at people he doesn't trust, and throw himself upon people he does like so they are helplessly pinned below him and eventually resolve to just pet him. He would be especially productive if he were given food as a reward like some of the interviewers seem to be. Seriously, I've seen spreads of danishes, cheeses, coffee and juices laid out like a miniature buffet to the side of the table where the interviewers enjoy yet another delicacy: grilled candidate.

No comments: