Friday, July 22, 2005

Who would have guessed?

I should have known it would be so, when my interviewer said "Let's begin this interview with a prayer." As it turns out, I discovered at my interview at a Christian school today that I'm just not Christian enough. I know that must be a shocker to all of you out there, especially to my "spiritual reference." But sadly, it's true. I think I actually felt sorry for the administrator who interviewed me. Otherwise, I might have made comments about being happy for my homosexual friend who just got married, or mentioned how my live-in boyfriend and I had a great-fucking-margarita party the other night. That would have been fun.

But no, he was way too nice. He repeatedly told me that my credentials were fantastic for a beginning teacher, and it was only in the one area of my faith that there would be a challenge. He wouldn't even come right out and say, "Sorry, I don't think this job is for you." He just said it would be a "challenge" and then gave me pointers on other places to apply. I just couldn't resist telling the mostly true version of my position on spirituality. Probably a good thing too. He later went into describing how they teach evolution...as an "untrue theory" so that the students are prepared to argue why and how they believe in creationism. Sounds like a good place for me, eh? Right...

I haven't mentioned it in my blog, mostly because I've been mentioning (i.e. bitching about) it everywhere else, but as most of you know, I've been applying and interviewing for jobs all over the place. I have a lot more interviews this year than last year, but so far nothing at all has popped up. I keep searching as schools begin to get serious about planning their staff for the next year, but despite the many jobs out there, few are for English teachers, and there's a lot of us out there. However, I'm not going to give up on finding a full time job until the school bell rings on the first day. After that point, it will be subbing and grad school time for me...and maybe writing...something.

No comments: