Thursday, July 28, 2005

The Final Showdown

I am "this" close to having a full time job for the fall. Tomorrow morning at 8am, I have a final interview with one of the schools. Why another interview? They called me today saying they were very impressed with me yesterday, and they're having a very difficult time deciding between me and one other candidate. Tomorrow is their deadline for choosing someone for the position, so at 8am sharp I will be meeting with a few more people and they will finish scrutinizing my charm and abilities. It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

Earlier today, I had an interview at Jenny's alma mater that went frightfully shitty. On top of that, the school was in such disarray, that I didn't find anyone to help direct me to the committee until I had already stood around for 5 minutes. Combine that with a bad hair day and crappy traffic, and I was not in the most organized mood for an interview, especially one in such a tragic looking room. It had an oversized table, big black chairs, and dim flourescent lighting. The three women interviewers were all at least 30, and had severe looks on their well maintained faces. They barely cracked a smile all through the process, only admitting a slight giggle when I mentioned something about dealing with difficult students or tried throwing in a humorous anecdote about my writing. Everything I said just made me feel less qualified and more like a foolish school girl still trying to find a job. I felt like I was being slowly grilled and fried by their penetrating laser eyes...

"I've got laser eyes! And I know what you're thinking! It comes as no surprise! Christmas lights are blinking! And I'm so curious and I'm so curious and I'm so curious! Cuz I've got laser eyes!" Sifl n Olly...I loved that show.

Crappy interview followed by near job aquisition. I suppose it balances out. Only minor annoyance is that I'll have to pack up for the weekend, dress up for the interview, have the interview, and THEN drive to the "Southeast Corner" to visit peeps in Madtown, Chitown, and Mil-le-wa-kee

Wayne Campbell: So, do you come to Milwaukee often?
Alice Cooper: Well, I'm a regular visitor here, but Milwaukee has certainly had its share of visitors. The French missionaries and explorers began visiting here in the late 16th century. Pete: Hey, isn't "Milwaukee" an Indian name?
Alice Cooper: Yes, Pete, it is. In fact , it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
Wayne Campbell: I was not aware of that.

It's going to be a busy-ass weekend. But fun.

No comments: