Thursday, July 07, 2005

Well, we survived

Tricia and I finished the race in relatively one piece, which is good. Her parents were there, and mine actually made the drive up there too. I was rather impressed and touched by my parents wanting to join us, especially since it meant that they had to wake up at 4:30am so that they could be in Egg Harbor just after 7:00am. What can I say? I'm their favorite child ;)

So we had a cheering section waiting for us at the finish line, and you'd be amazed what that will do for someone's initiative. I knew I would do okay, but I wasn't sure how fast I could keep it up. But I think I did myself proud. I ran less than 10 minute miles the whole way, which meant I finished the 3.1 mile race in 30 minutes 10 seconds. Sure, I was #324, but that's better than being #700. I'm not sure that many people did the RUN, but there were definitely at least that many people there total for the run/walk. It's amazing how much difference a couple minutes make, because Tricia's uncle beat both of us by coming in at 27 minutes which meant he was a whole hundred people ahead of me.

Still, our main goal was to try and get it done in less than 35 minutes, and we both succeeded! So yay for us! Now we're thinking about adding a race or two to our list. I mean, what motivation is it for the rest of the year if I know I can get back into running shape in just a couple months and the next Hairpin Race is a whole year away? I guess there's a nice wooded one up in Door Co. sometime in October, and there are TONS in the Twin Cities greater area, with a race every weekend SOMEWHERE in Minnesota. Oh, no worries. I won't be going hardcore health nut...I love food, movies, and video games too much. But I WILL try to keep up my running abilities so that if I had to, I could still run a 5K at the drop of a hat. I think that's a worthy enough goal. Although, Tricia and I DID think about trying to reach the next step of a 5 mile run. Hm...this could take a while.

No comments: