Thursday, March 27, 2003



On the Road Again

It appears I just can't get enough of my car. Once again I will be packing the trunk full of my precious cargo, grabbing some snacks and a drink, and driving away from the not-so-interesting city of EC. This time it's not for an adventurous soiree to the "exotic" land of Chicago; it's a three-day weekend respite at home in GB...of course using the term "respite" rather loosely since I'm sure my parents will do their best to make it as unrestful a weekend as possible, but that's nothing unusual. The weather isn't exactly cooperating with my idea for a relaxing drive, but sometimes I enjoy a nice overcast day for driving--it gives me more cause to think, to mull over ideas and situations in my head.

I have a feeling that this weekend will be...interesting. Not that anything super exciting or different is going to happen, but I think it will be a bit weird. Tonight I'll probably chill with my family, tomorrow I'll do some shopping for the baby shower and then I'm supposed to hang out with Mike and such, Saturday is the baby shower for Beth and the bday party for my grandpa and then likely chillin with Jenni, and Sunday I'll drive back to EC. Sometime during the weekend I'm hoping to visit with Joe, since it was his bday last Sunday and I haven't seen him for a bit. By all accounts, it should be a fairly fun weekend, but it also might be a little stressful with all the current events. My dad just got out of the hospital yesterday, so I imagine there'll be some adjustments at home and he probably won't be feeling that great. Which means I'll be doing some housework and likely running some errands. Not to mention the parties on Saturday afternoon which will require planning, set-up, and facilitating--I can't say I'm an experienced thrower of showers, and I know my sis-in-law Jennifer isn't either.

That's the thing, Jennifer really isn't into those kinds of traditions--bridal showers, baby showers, bachelorette parties, wedding traditions, family reunions, big holiday celebrations, etc. Especially anything that involves close girl friends or siblings. She's an only child, and was also a tomboy, so she doesn't have a lot of experience in it all, so she rejects most of it. My mom wants to include her in it all, cuz Beth is REALLY into all those traditions and would feel hurt if Jennifer wasn't a part of it all, since they are supposed to be "sisters" as well. I feel bad thinking this way, but really, sometimes Beth is just too damn sensitive. Last weekend when I was home, she was complaining (in tears) about how my dad dismisses her sometimes, wanting to spend time alone with Christopher. Granted, she's pregnant, so she's bound to be extra-sensitive and hormonal and all that, but she's like that without a 2lb fetus kicking her bladder too. I know my parents are FAR from perfect, but it's not like her parents have been so wonderful. I mean, they're having a shower for her down there, but she and Chris settled in GB and not the big city of Milwaukee for a reason--her parents are not nearly as supportive as Chris's. And I know QUITE well that my dad can be a real pain in the ass, but once you realize that, there's no sense crying about it. Sometimes he's just an insenstive bastard, but it's not because he doesn't care (if that makes sense). And Beth's argument that because Chris and her are married, she's going to be around all the time, just sounds soooo lame. I don't think I could stand being around my husband all the dang time. I don't care if he's Prince Charming; I'm going to want my own life outside of his and his family's. Sure, I'd want to be a part of my husband's family, but I don't expect them to treat me EXACTLY like a daughter--they're always going to love their son just a little bit more, and that's the way it SHOULD be. And besides, my brother Chris and my dad are men, and Chris grew up in our house...so how unusual is it that my dad would want to spend some quality QT with Chris without the wife? Beth could be the greatest person in the world (and don't doubt that I think highly of her and that her and Chris are a great couple and all that), but my dad is STILL going to pick Chris over her hands down--Chris is his son, always has been and always will be--his first son at that. How unreasonable is it for my dad to treat Beth as a daughter-IN-LAW and not a daughter...I mean, geez, he's got me, you know? And he DOES pretty much treat her like a daughter. He says "I love you" and wants to talk with her and tries to include both of them in all the bigger family events and all that.

Anyway, I just had to vent that. I love both of my brothers' wives, but sometimes their personalities so differ from mine, and even those of my brothers, that I have to wonder how those couples get along. But they do, and they love each other and that's what's important, even if they have some annoying personality traits. No one's perfect--as evidenced by someone like me. And I'm certain that whatever guy gets the lucky "privalege" of snagging me as a wife will undergo the same scrutiny by my brothers--I'm not sure that either of them have liked any guys I've dated yet, and maybe they never REALLY will until they HAVE to. But they're big brothers; that's what their for ;)

No comments: