Tuesday, January 02, 2007

"O" 7 We Will Watch Them Fall...and then Rise

A sort of nod to Prince (though I realize he says "All seven" not "Oh seven"...but it can sound like that...even if it doesn't make sense). ANYWAY, I thought that I may as well get on the bandwagon with the rest of the Minnesotans. Though I can't say that singing "Purple Rain" at midnight was my favorite choice of possible New Year's Eve songs. Definitely not. But the kiss was sweet and nearly PG-13 rated.

With the fall of 06 and the rise of 07, it is time for the honored tradition of listing the crap that has happened in the past year, good and bad, tragic and lovely. The year 2006 certainly had its share of moments.

Top Ten Worst Moments of 2006

10. Getting knocked down on the dance floor at Liz's wedding reception.
9. Losing my favorite winter hat.
8. Being told I can't play DDR in the house due to the huge noise and banging it makes for the downstairs neighbors.
7. Teaching summer school which was a lot more work and stress than I had thought it would be, all while I was applying for jobs and looking for apartments.
6. Stressful days and nights at my current school trying to catch up on work for students who don't appreciate it.
5. Unsuccessful interviews and filling out numerous applications for a new job.
4. Feeling the loss of friendships and self-esteem.
3. Moving Grandma into the nursing home, seeing her decline in mental and physical health.
2. Moving to the new apartment on the hottest day of the year (and cleaning the old apartment the next day).
1. Being denied a contract renewal for my job at the middle school that I believed was the job of my dreams.

Top Ten Best Moments of 2006

10. Buying a wedding dress (and trendy new eyeglasses).
9. Winter Break.
8. Sweet parties: 3rd Annual Bastille Day, Birthday/Engagement Party, Anti-Valentine's Day, Halloween, New Year's Eve.
7. Finding the necklace Chris bought for me when I thought it was lost forever.
6. Liz's wedding celebration in WI Rapids.
5. Awesome concerts: Architecture in Helsinki, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, The Decemberists.
4. Chicago vacation with Chris.
3. Getting a good job and the apartment we really wanted.
2. Trip to Ireland with my mom.
1. Becoming engaged.

I'm sure I'm missing some great moments and horrible ones, but you get the idea. I have a lot of work to do to fulfill my resolutions this year. "What are they?" you ask. How about I list them in my next blog, okay?

No comments: