Thursday, December 04, 2003



"AaWeeeeee um weee um aaWeeyum bambaway!"

In the jungle, the London jungle, The Lion King tonight. A good show. A very good show. The costumes were just...wow, impressive doesn't begin to describe them, primarily African influenced but with the added dimension of taking on a bigger, three dimensional shape--after a while, I stopped noticing the human beings behind them. The use of lighting was spectacular--great contrasts of light and shadow, and a few tricks too. It was very powerfully done and adds some plot thickeners to the original animated film. All in all, well worth a night at the theatre.

I can't say it was my favorite musical...I'm not even sure what my favorite would be. Every musical I have seen has been completely unique from the others. But The Lion King tonight was a special treat, and I'm glad my brother suggested it. I do sort of wish the theater was a bit better though. It was small, which is okay since that meant we weren't that far from the stage.

However, the seating is not in "stadium" form, so the stupid bald dude in front of me took up half the stage in my line of sight with his huge shiny melon. I had to tip my head to the side and lean over a bit to get a good view for a lot of it, but he would shift, so I moved my head around. That meant the young boy behind me had to move his head to see the stage when MY head was blocking his view, which I overheard him saying to his little friend. I really didn't care--not when I was paying £40 to see this musical. If I could deal with it, so could the 10 year old. So :P

No comments: