Monday, June 24, 2002

Yeah, I know this isn't the most thrilling blog, not that my other one is particularly riveting, but this one's more intended to keep track of the Englishy parts of my life. I'll have more to write about when classes resume in fall; for now it's just what I'm working on for the summer, which at the moment is still Rebel Dream. I didn't get to read for 4 hours on the bus on Friday :( The trip was cancelled due to the weather, so we went to a local park instead. I did read a little, but I'm only on page 33. Reading would be a lot easier around my house if my parents weren't so obnoxiously loud, arguing, complaining or just talking. They must be having issues with hearing or something, cuz I swear they've gotten louder over the years. ::sigh:: but living is free here...even if it does require "hard labor." It's not that bad, I know, but getting this house ready for a rummage sale is not exactly a matter of grabbing a few things here and there--it requires a total upheaval of crap we've been collecting since my parents moved in 30some years ago. The good thing about it is that we're finding stuff we forgot about that may either come in handy or is completely useless and we can chuck it to make room for newer junk :P I went through my old closet (the one in my older room that I was forced out of so it could be made into an office when I left for college) and went through some of my old class notes from high school and college (I like to hang on to a few things that seem important at the time) and found some poems I forgot I wrote and some other papers I didn't know I held on to. I really wish I could type up my poetry and short stories here in my blog, but I'm too paranoid about people swiping them and using them as their own. Not that they'd be that good, but I'm sure there's some desperate creative writing students out there somewhere who'll take anythign that has the semblance of a poem so they can get a passing grade without actually using any creativity whatsoever outside the realm of theivery. So, my writing remains in folders packed away for days I might get back to them and finally make them worthy of someone else's attention.

::sigh:: I know I said that I would get some writing accomplished this summer since I'll have more free time, but so far I've been slacking :( Work's been tiring me out so that when I get home all I want to do is take a nap, and then afterwards I feel like getting out of the house. What I should do is have a night or two a week that I go to a park or to a coffee place and just sit and write for a while. I spent many a night at Perkins back at school, so it couldn't hurt to do something like that here, as long as I get some biking and other exercise in too :P School has a way of making a person immobile--spending the day in a desk at class and then going home to sit behind a computer all night. I figure if I can write a few drafts of poetry and maybe some short stories, I'll be in pretty good shape. At least I write in my blogs and journals so I'm not completely ignoring my writing effort. For those of you who don't know, my writing effort includes hoping to get published someday (besides in the 1995 Anthology of Young American Poets that half my class got into) so that I can both be an English teacher AND a writer. I don't expect to be the next JK Rowling or Anne McCafrey, but I wouldn't mind seeing my name on a binding while walking through a bookstore some distant day. ::sigh:: All I need is the drive to actually get it done, which, considering my long time role as procrastinator, is a lot more difficult than it should be. :P Eh, miracles can happen...once in a while.

No comments: