Friday, July 21, 2006

So, Yeah, As I Was Saying

For all my bitching and complaining...I got a job offer today. It's for the school I mentioned in my last post. I'd be teaching at a small charter school for grades 9-12. It sounds a little intimidating since I think I might be the only high school teacher there, so it would mean four different preps, unless they mix their classes. I haven't talked to them yet about details. After talking to the the HR director, I scheduled a meeting for Tuesday to talk about the job and to see the school. They had left a message on my phone this morning while I was struggling to pound through a stack of assignments my summer school kids gave me on the LAST DAY of summer school.

Today was really boring, actually. Most of my students left at 10am since they were nice enough to let the passing students with good attendance out early. Naturally, that meant I had 3 kids left who were all passing and had little work to do but had been absent and needed to make up the time. What to do with 3 kids that doesn't involve anything I'm going to grade? Not a whole hell of a lot. I had to get grading done, so I couldn't do much that was interactive. I gave them a puzzle worksheet and turned on a movie. They chatted and kept themselves busy, so I suppose it worked.

In other news, my grandmother on my dad's side is moving from Two Rivers into a nursing home in GB. It might be hard for her to make the transition, but she's been really miserable at home alone, so I think this might be really great for her. Otherwise, she sits at home and watches CNN or maybe once in a while visits the senior center nearby. But it's different when you're just visiting vs. when you're actually a resident, a member of a supportive community. It was tough on my dad to make the decision, but it helped to see how happy she was conversing with residents when they went to check out different nursing homes. Turns out she likes the one that is a block away from my parents' church, so that will be really convenient. She'll have to give up some independence, but she'll gain more time with her family, more friends, and health services that she needs.

::sigh:: Life is so busy, and then it stands still on certain moments. At least I got a job offer before I filled out the pages of essays for a couple jobs I'm really not even interested in. I'll still keep an eye out and send a couple apps, just in case. A job's not a job until my name's on the signature line.

No comments: