Tuesday, July 25, 2006

3, 2, 1 Contract!

As I said, it's not over until I sign a contract. well, today I did. I won't be making much more than last year--just about $600 more, which I suppose isn't too bad. And I will be doing more work, in some ways. Instead of preparing for 2 classes, I'll be preparing for 4 of them. But I'll also only be teaching 4 sections instead of 5. My day starts out easy, with prep time in the morning. My room seems decent--someone was teaching in there for summer school, so I didn't get more than a glimpse.

I'll be teaching Language/Grammar, Writing, and Literature 1&2 as 4 different classes, with some mixture for grades of students, but it will tend to go in that order, 9-12. Teaching a whole high school of kids sounds a bit intimidating, but with textbooks, novels, and set online curriculum, I should have some good help in the matter. They expressed strongly that I will need to stick to the course curriculum, though they said I could add anything I want that will help the learn the course. I just can't do things like substitute a different novel or skip a concept that seems over their heads.

So, basically August is going to be a time of major preparation. Besides settling into our new place, I'll have to get a lot of materials planned ahead and ready to go. I'll especially want the first few weeks planned, since that's a time of major adjustment to the school itself. Well, speaking of busy times, I had best get to packing more of our shit. We made a lot of progress yesterday, but there's still a butload to go. Our goal is to have a moving truck for Thursday so we can get that done before my parents come to visit Friday-Saturday. Thankfully, they'll be staying at a hotel so we don't have to worry about lodging them. And lucky us, our parents will be meeting each other Friday evening for dinner. If we can keep our stress levels down, we all should be cool, just going to a sports bar/grill. If.

No comments: