Tuesday, August 16, 2005

I am more than just a street sewer

The interesting things people say while half-asleep. So this last weekend Chris and I went to WI to see my family and attend Shanty Days in the bustling town of Algoma. Okay, so there's nothing doing any sort of hustle or bustle in that little lake town that has actually decreased in population since my mother lived there. But for this one weekend of the year, the city really shows its shine...or spit and polish.

We had an early morning drive to my parents' campsite outside the town, and then rode bikes on a trail to join together in the festivities with some relatives at my aunt's house. There was a 1.5 hour long parade with all the fixin's, a bazaar of craft booths, a flea market, and a special sectioned off pay-to-get-in portion filled with many unhealthy foods and noise pollution bands. During the day we watched the parade, ate a potluck lunch, bought some crafty junk, walked the pier, and took a tour of my family's historical landmarks.

That evening we crashed in our tent for a slanted nap...our tent was on a hill so we had the "fortunate" opportunity to sleep on a 15 degree incline. After literally rolling out of bed, we went with my parents to the critically acclaimed Pizza Bowl for some very slow but very tasty pizza. Then it was time to break off from the fam and go for a romantic stroll along the boardwalk until we found a good spot on the beach to make out. It was so cliche, I had a hard time taking myself seriously. But it was fun, despite the smell of Lake Michigan.

So all in all, a fabulous, if busy weekend. I miss camping. I used to do it a few times a year when I was younger and in Girl Scouts. I think the campfire is my favorite part--what can I say: I'm a pyro in responsible clothing. Anyone want to light my fire and go camping sometime this fall?

No comments: