Wednesday, January 12, 2005

A Slacker as Usual

With a long term sub position and a 4 hour Monday night class looming on the horizon, I have been taking the most advantage of my freedom as possible. i.e. I've been sitting on my ass, finishing a fluffy fantasy novel every 2 days, playing the PS2 with Tricia, and otherwise avoiding anything that even resembles work.

Even WORK is not work. Take today for example. I subbed at a nearby high school for a Chem and Calculus teacher. Sound challenging? Shyeah, right. I read 200 pages of my book while the students studiously went about their studies, only raising my head to answer the occassional request to get a pass out of the room or to clear my eyes after my contacts got a bit on the dry side from reading too damn much. I suppose yesterday's job teaching special ed to 1st-5th graders makes up for the lack of action I had today. But Monday I again went through 120 pages...middle schoolers require a bit more attention than 11-12th graders.

Anyway, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. Okay, not true, but I couldn't resist using that line. It's more that I'm enjoying the time that I'm accostumed to being "winter break," especially realizing I'm going to be super-fucking busy just another week and a half from now. Besides, reading is good for me--it keeps my mind working while subbing turns me into a direction-giving zombie. As for the lack of other activities, part of that is due to the reading and game-playing addictions. I can stop anytime really...just not within the last 100 pages of a good book. It's been a long time since I've had so much free time to read. And I doubt it will continue once the class and the long term sub job start up.

It's too bad my laziness has included blogging. I've really meant to keep up with it, but I guess I haven't had a lot to say. Tricia already wrote an entry about our ongoing debate as to whether or not we're going to move to the 2nd floor apartment in a month. We still haven't truly declared our intentions yet, but I'll let you know when we do. I know I've said it before and let you down, but I swear, sometime soon, I'll make it up to you with a kick-ass load of KRAP. Just be patient, por favor :)

No comments: