Thursday, October 28, 2004

Days Until Unemployment: 4

Tomorrow is the Friday before Halloween. You know what that means? I'm going to be tricky.

You see, the administration said at the staff meeting weeks ago that they would have no policy on costumes. They would not encourage costumes, but not ban them either. Well, today at the very end of the day, they made an announcement saying NO COSTUMES. Needless to say, I was a bit miffed.

Amber, the science teacher across the hall, had talked with me about costumes and said she would wear one if I did. She was planning as dressing as a cell because her students are studying plant and animal cells right now in the class. Her costume would have consisted of wearing all black and then sticking felt cut outs all over herself to represent the different parts of a cell. She suggested I wear something that had to do with my class as well. So I thought about it.

I was going to wear a toga. Yep, a toga. My students are studying Greek/Roman mythology, so what could be more appropriate. Tricia even has a nice garland of fake flowers and leaves that I can wear in my hair. Naturally I'd be wearing clothes underneath the toga, although I'm sure that going without would have been quite comfortable. You can understand my miffiness when I heard the announcement.

Thing is, I'm being observed by the associate principal tomorrow during one of my English classes. While discussing the observation with him, I asked about the change in policy about the costumes, and he said yeah, they decided to change that. So, I mentioned what I had planned for a costume, and he said well...I don't have to say anything about it if you just wear it in class. YAY! I'm such a rebel. Hell, it's not even an official observation--I asked him to watch me teach so he can write a good recommendation for me. Besides, I'm done in 4 days! What are they going to do, fire me?

No comments: