Sunday, February 08, 2004



I'm kicking out fiercely at the world around me...what went wrong?

Tonight I received an email that shocked me. It was from one of my former students, telling me that she tried committing suicide. Her reason? Because she it's almost Valentine's Day and no boys like her. And a boy that she does like just ignores her. AGGH!!

What do you say to something like that? I tried as best I could to write something inspiring for her. How do you tell a 14-year-old that she's not alone in the world? That there's much more to life than boys? That romantic love isn't the most urgent and important thing?

She's a unique and sensitive girl, and her difficulties getting along with others socially doesn't help matters. But God, how do you tell a girl that all of the hurt and pain of being a teenager will pass? How can you tell her that you understand what she is going through? That you've felt those feelings but worked through it and moved on?

I remember those days in middle school, when I had crush after crush on impossible guys who couldn't have cared less. The other girls (aside from a couple close friends) would make matters worse by picking at my faults and insecurities. It's a terrible age. My body was developing, yet it was years before I was really comfortable with my form. And there's so much pressure SO MUCH PRESSURE to be attractive, have a boyfriend, and be a part of the crowd. Those pressures have probably even grown since then, now that young people are being introduced into sexuality sooner and sooner.

But we can't blame society, we can't blame THEM. It just doesn't do any good that way. We've got to work with what we have, help the kids that need our help. Get them involved, get them understanding their potential, get them making goals in working towards those dreams they fear are unattainable. And remind them that family, friends, counselors, and teachers...they all care; they all want to help.

UGH, but does all of that sound like bullshit to a 14-year-old? Can one email from one older friend make any difference at all--make her feel even a tiny bit better? I hope so.

No comments: