Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Desire to draw first blood


Yeah, I've got a big sword. And I KNOW how to use it. Dammit.

Today, I'm ashamed to say I REALLY wished I was as rash as Inuyasha and could just bash a kid on the head for saying something annoying or stupid. My first two classes were fine, but when the third set of English students came around, something must have been in the air. There were a few of them that were unbelievably obnoxious. It took all the restraint I have (and that's saying a lot) not to just kick them all out of the room.

As it was I did kick one student out for a few minutes. He just would NOT shut up! I wanted to scream it at him: "SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU LITTLE TURD!" Thankfully, I held my temper and kept class going as smoothly as possible. I felt sorry for the other kids that were behaving; it must have been really boring to hear me repeatedly asking/telling the chatty corner to be quiet. Tomorrow I'll have to make some changes.

Change #1: New seating arrangement. I told the kids they could pick their spots, and if they didn't work out, I could move them. Well, one day into the seating arrangement and I'm already moving kids. I could have just assigned this chatty group seats to begin with, but I thought I would give them a fighting chance--that way I couldn't be called unfair. Shyeah right, that ends now. These kids are moving to the far reaches of the room (though I wish it could be the far reaches of space).

Change #2: Now that I know these kids better by name, you can bet I'll be curtailing their rude behavior ASAP. I can't let them get to me, and I can't let them disrupt the class, keeping us from getting into the material. So, time for a boost of confidence, and a boost of guts. These kids are going to know I mean business. It's funny that the rest of the classes, even the ones with kids in basic skills classes and the special ed kids, all seem to understand my limits and when to listen. I guess a few kids just haven't learned that lesson. Oh, they will. They will. Grrrrrr. Blades of blood!

No comments: